Peppermint is an aromatic cross-herb between the spearmint and watermint plants. Generally found in America and Europe, the essential oil extracted from the peppermint plant has multiple benefits. Read on to know more about the essential oils peppermint – its forms, uses, and benefits.
What Are The Different Forms Of The Essential Oils -Peppermint?
Although the essential oil version of this herb is widely famous, it has other forms too. Those forms are mainly –
- Extracts, a more diluted form of which can be used to add flavors to food items.
- Peppermint Capsules, which are generally intaken as dietary supplements.
- Essential Oils are used in aromatherapy and for other multiple purposes.
The odor that peppermint oil emits is very sharp and soothing at the same time. Its taste is very similar to its odor. People are common with the taste of peppermint from gums or mouthwashes. The coolness of the peppermint oil comes from menthol which is also very common.
Uses Of Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil has a variety of uses.
- It treats health conditions like irritable bowel syndrome or IBS, nausea and other digestive issues.
- It also comes handy in treating common cold and headaches.
- Mouthwashes generally contain peppermint oil.
- Various food items contain artificial peppermint flavor which comes from the peppermint oil.
- It helps in relieving muscle pain, itching and other irritable conditions of the body.
Benefits Of The Essential Oils Peppermint
The usage of the peppermint plants for medicinal purposes dates back to ancient Greek times. Many pieces of research have been conducted on the benefits of peppermint oil, the best of which are mentioned below.
1. Beneficial for IBS
Although modern times have brought forward many medicines to treat health problems, peppermint oil has held its place since ancient times. Peppermint relaxes and smoothes the muscles of the GI tract. This helps in reducing the inflammation and irritating sensation. Thus, a person with IBS, if treated with peppermint oil, will not have any uneasy sensations during bowel movements.
2. Essential Oils Peppermint Helps Control Nausea
Peppermint oil is especially useful in treating postoperative nausea. Nausea is also seen in pregnant women. Recent studies have shown that if a would-be mother is treated with peppermint oil (aromatherapy), her vomiting rate reduces.
3. Useful For Skin And Hair
Although there are many other essential oils than peppermint that have a better effect on skin and hair, peppermint oils too have some beneficial effects.
- Peppermint oils help to soothe the itchiness of the skin.
- It has also proved beneficial in reducing itching caused by pregnancy.
- Peppermint oil has shown to the growth of thick, long hair within a month of treatment.
4. Essential Oils Peppermint Helps Reduce Pain
The cooling effect that peppermint oils provide has proven helpful in reducing pain. Moreover, tension-related headaches, migraine pains and other kinds of muscle pain can be treated with peppermint oils. Even, peppermint oil tablets can be used to reduce non-cardiac chest pain.
Peppermint oil has many benefits but if taken in large amounts, it can turn out to be toxic. So, either dilute it or consult a doctor before using it.